- One of the royal cities of the Canaanites ( Joshua 10:1 ; Genesis 12:8 ; 13:3 ).
- It lay rebuilt and inhibited by the Benjamites ( Ezra 2:28 ; Nehemiah 7:32 ; 11:31 ). It lay to the east of Bethel, “beside Beth-aven.”
- It was the second Canaanite city taken by Israel ( Joshua 7:2-5 ; 8:1-29 ).
- A city in the Ammonite territory ( Jeremiah 49:3 ). Some have thought that the proper reading of the word is Ar ( Isaiah 15:1 ).
- It was the scene were Joshua was defeated, and afterwards of his victory.
These dictionary topic is from M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary,